Preparation time – 15 minutes; Cooking time – 15 minutes
I love cupcakes. I could eat ’em for every meal, every day of the week if I had a better metabolism. But I am pregnant at the moment so I guess I get a temporary reprieve. But still – it is always good to be healthy where you can so I made up this recipe and packed it full of fruit and nuts which meant I wouldn’t have to feel quite so bad about cupcake time! (Cupcake time – in case you wish to join me – is Monday through to Sunday from 4am – 11:59pm).
The great thing about using fruit in your baking is that it acts as a binder which means you don’t need any eggs and they also sweeten the muffins so you don’t have to add extra sugar. And to be extra healthy and cute I carved out little red apple hearts for a garnish and took them to my mother-in-laws for Mothers Day. All in all – cupcake win!
- 2 Cups Wholemeal Flour
- 2 tsp of bicarb soda/baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup of walnuts, chopped
- 120ml of oil (use coconut if possible, otherwise any vegetable will do)
- 4 x very ripe banana’s
- 3 T crushed pineapple
- 1 T maple syrup
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- 1/2 Cup of raisins
- 1 standard size tub of vegan cream cheese (Tofutti is available at supermarkets nowadays!)
- 1 Cup icing sugar (give or take depending on taste)
- 1 x red apple or some strawberries to garnish – OPTIONAL
1. Preheat your oven on 180Celsius / 360F
2. Add wholemeal flour, bicarb soda, cinnamon, lemon zest of half a lemon (save the other half) and walnuts into your mixing bowl
3. Place oil, pineapple, banana’s, maple syrup and juice of one lemon into a bowl. Mash until the banana’s don’t look like banana’s anymore!
4. Pour your wet mix in with the flour mix. Put on medium speed until the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
5. Add the raisins and fold into the mixture. It will be quite a thick mix.
6. Spoon these straight into your greased baking tin (You can use cupcake liners if you’d like but I really think they are a bit of a waste of paper! Do you really need them?)
7. Bake for about 15 minutes – checking with a skewer into the centre of one of your cupcakes.
8. Once they look like beautiful golden mountains bring them out and allow them to cool.
9. In a food processor add your vegan cream cheese, sugar and the lemon zest of the saved half of the lemon and mix until smooth. Taste test to see if you need more sugar or lemon.
10. Spread the cream cheese frosting onto your cupcakes. If you want to be cute, you can cut out little lovehearts from red apples or strawberries and use them as a garnish.