Dairy Free – Gluten Free – Grain Free
Preparation time: 10 minutes ; Cook time: 20 – 30 minutes
I often find that Gluten Free muffins, cupcakes, breads, pancakes – anything with a doughy naughtiness about them – have a funny dry texture that leaves you mouth feeling somewhat… powdery? That is why I am so obsessed with coconut flour. Every recipe I use it in turns out delicious and moist and tastes more indulgent than it is. I have spoken of my coconut love before (in my recipe for paleo pancakes – see here) but to sum it up; this is a grain free flour that is backed full of fibre and protein. Plus it is made from a ‘waste’ product; i.e. the husk of the coconut.
Inspired by this recipe by The Wannabe Chef, these cupcakes were super moist and had the most subtle coconut flavour. After I took them out of the oven they did sink a bit but I was actually okay with that because it gave a nice flat surface for me to apply the icing too. This being said, it wasn’t a light fluffy cupcake. I am sure they wouldn’t have sunk had I stopped opening the oven door to ogle them!
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons coconut flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (you could also use palm sugar, honey or maple syrup – I was just feeling naughty!)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
‘Cream Cheese’ Frosting
- 1 tub tofutti (vegan cream cheese) or normal Cream Cheese if that’s how you roll
- 1 x Punnet of strawberries
- Icing sugar to taste
- Preheat your oven to 175C (350F) and grease your cupcake tin (I use coconut oil but your standard ‘oils’ are fine)
- Combine all your ingredients in a bowl and mix to form an even batter
- Scoop batter into cupcake wells
- Bake for 20-30 minutes – until the tops are firm and a skewer comes out without any mix
- Remove from oven and let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting them
- Place entire tub of ‘cream cheese’ into a mixer. Then sprinkle in icing sugar bit by bit and taste as you go. I don’t like my frosting too sweet so I hardly use any but others like that tooth-tingling buzz.
- Slice up strawberries and place on top of cupcakes.